WHY IS MY AC MAKING NOISE?
Have you noticed loud noises upon start up and shut off on your AC unit? The unit could be running properly but you still may hear a humming or banging noise. What could cause this? Is this a sign you need repair?
Causes for AC noise:
- The compressor motor is likely the issue if you only hear the loud noise on start up.
- If you have a damper or zone system in your home and you hear a slamming noise, it’s likely the dampers closing when the AC turns off.
- Issues with fans or air handlers are common, causing the blower wheel to bang against other parts of the unit.
- The fan motor on your AC could be unable to spin but will still have power reaching it. This causes resistance that creates almost a humming noise.
- At times, there could be an issue with the contactor relay switch. If this switch fails, it could create a humming noise.
CALL THE GUYS YOU CAN TRUST
If your AC is making noise, call Colony Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning today. We are available 24/7, servicing Cedar Rapids, Iowa City and surround communities. Be sure to sign up for our Maintenance Plan to save you time, money and potentially avoid costly repairs.